6.3.17

The Chapel without a roof of Panagia Kakaviotissa on Limnos

Panagia Kakaviotissa is a chapel near the village Evgati, about 4km from Myrina, a remnant of one of the many metochions of the island, which came under the authority of Megistis Lavras Monastery in 1276. Back then, monks from the monastery of Agios Efstratios had settled in the chapel to protect themselves from the forays of the Turks. 



It is located in an inaccessible cave, at the top of the mountain and among imposing cliffs, a location that probably hosted an early Christian church and hermits during the Byzantine period. Every year, the chapel has a service two days after Easter, and the icon of the Panagia Kakaviotissa is transferred in it, which is preserved by a family in Kontias. 

Panagia was named Kakaviotissa after the Mount Kakavos, on which the chapel is located. This is the only roofless church in the world, which is built inside a cave. Last but not least, the route to the chapel is a pleasant walk, which we highly recommend. 
 
















Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

loading...

Popular Posts Of The Week

Top best cpc cpm ppc ad network for publisher

Αναγνώστες

Translate

loading...
...
loading...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------